- At the invitation of H.E. Prof. Robert DUSSEY, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Regional Integration and Togolese Abroad, HE Mr. Sabri BOUKADOUM, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria, paid a working visit to Lomé, March 07, 2021 This visit is part of the strengthening of relations of friendship and cooperation between Togo and Algeria, initiated during Minister DUSSEY’s visit to Algiers on September 18 and 19, 2019.
- During his stay, Minister BOUKADOUM was received in audience by His Excellency Mr. Faure Essozimna GNASSINGBE, President of the Togolese Republic, to whom he conveyed the fraternal greetings of His Excellency Mr. Abdelmadjid TEBBOUNE, President of the Algerian Republic Democratic and Popular.
- The Algerian head of diplomacy also had a working session with his Togolese counterpart during which subjects of common interest of a bilateral, regional and multilateral nature were raised.
- Bilaterally, the two personalities welcomed the new dynamism of relations between Togo and Algeria and reaffirmed their determination to work closely for their consolidation and diversification in the mutually beneficial interest of the respective populations.
- To do this, the two heads of diplomacy insisted on the need to pursue the implementation of the points inscribed in the roadmap signed on the occasion of the official visit of HE Prof. Robert DUSSEY to Algiers, in particular the strengthening of cooperation in the fields of trade, higher education, transport, vocational training, culture, communication, diplomat training, security and the fight against terrorism, as well that the updating and consolidation of the existing legal framework to better adapt to the new environment of world trade.
- Addressing economic issues, Prof. DUSSEY recalled the priority projects of the Togolese authorities set out in the National Development Plan (PND) and the government roadmap (2020-2025). Also, he reiterated the wish of the Togolese government to benefit from the Algerian expertise in the field of agro-industrial transformation as well as in the establishment of the industrial platform of Adétikopé (PIA) which constitutes a real business opportunity for Algerian investors. The Togolese and Algerian ministers also agreed to seize the opportunity offered by the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) to further boost trade flows between their countries.
- They also agreed to formalize in the near future, the reciprocal visa exemption for holders of diplomatic or service passports. Minister BOUKADOUM took the opportunity to announce the intention of the authorities of his country to open a diplomatic branch in Lomé in order to strengthen the effectiveness of the links between the two countries.
- From their discussions on regional issues, it emerges a convergence of views between Ministers BOUKADOUM and DUSSEY on the persistence of terrorism and insecurity in West Africa and the Sahel and the will of the two Governments of synergize their means and resources with a view to finding an adequate solution.
- Referring to the situation in Mali, the two ministers congratulated the transitional authorities for the positive development of the process. Minister DUSSEY reiterated the Togolese Government’s support for the implementation of the Algiers Peace Agreement, which is the most appropriate framework for reconciliation in Mali.
Done in Lomé, March 07, 2021