- H.E. Prof. Robert DUSSEY, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Regional Integration and Togolese Abroad, paid a working visit to Belgrade in Serbia from January 16 to 18, 2023. This visit follows the invitation addressed to the Chief of Togolese diplomacy by his counterpart, H.E.M. Ivica DACIC, First Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Serbia, during his visit to Lomé on May 18 and 19, 2019, marks the will of the highest authorities of the two countries to deepen their relations of friendship and cooperation.
- During the working session, full of openness and cordiality, the two foreign ministers discussed issues of common interest related to bilateral cooperation between their countries in various fields, the political and security situation in Africa. of the West, to peace and security at world level as well as to their cooperation within the framework of international organizations, in particular the United Nations.
- As part of bilateral cooperation, the two parties have undertaken to intensify contacts both at governmental level and between their private sectors with a view to the rapid realization of their desire to cooperate in the areas of investment, air transport and maritime, industries, agriculture, trade, education and training.
- In order to facilitate these contacts, they have signed a reciprocal visa exemption agreement for the benefit of their citizens holding diplomatic or service passports. They also intend to speed up negotiations with a view to signing a framework cooperation agreement and other agreements in priority areas. To this end, the two foreign ministries will hold the first session of political consultations established by the memorandum of understanding signed in 2019.
- As part of this visit, Minister Robert DUSSEY met senior Serbian personalities including H.E. Mr. Aleksandar VUCIC, President of the Republic of Serbia, Mr. Vladimir ORLIC, President of the National Assembly, Mrs. Ana BRNABIC, Prime Minister, Mr. Milos VUCEVIC, Minister of Defence, as well as heads of the country’s major companies and personalities from the academic world. He took advantage of these various meetings to present to the government as well as to Serbian businessmen the priority sectors and projects of the government roadmap 2020-2022 which are, among others, agricultural production and processing, transport sea and air transport, infrastructure, trade and investment. During the various exchanges, he placed particular emphasis on the business opportunities offered by the Adétikopé industrial platform and Togo’s desire to further affirm its vocation as a logistics and service hub in the sub-region through the strengthening of its airport, port and road infrastructures. He also invited Serbian economic operators to visit Togo in order to establish partnerships with their Togolese counterparts.
- Addressing sub-regional and African issues, the two delegations expressed their deep concern over the security situation in the Sahel and the Gulf of Guinea marked by repeated attacks perpetrated by terrorist groups. Faced with this situation which aggravates the vulnerability of States and populations, they called on the international community to strengthen its support for the countries affected and to pool energies and strategies with a view to eradicating terrorism and violent extremism. around the world, particularly in the Sahel and West Africa.
- In this regard, Minister DACIC congratulated the President of the Togolese Republic, H.E.M. Faure Essozimna GNASSINGBE for his sub-regional leadership focused on dialogue and consultation in the service of the consolidation of peace, stability and peaceful coexistence in West Africa. He also assured of Serbia’s readiness to support Togolese initiatives, which are experiencing resounding successes, the latest of which is the successful outcome found in the issue of the 49 Ivorian soldiers detained in Mali, thanks to the mediation of the Togolese Head of State.
- The two parties also stressed the need to maintain permanent consultation between them in order to coordinate their positions on international issues of common interest and to mutually support their candidacies in international bodies.
- At the end of his stay, H.E. Prof. Robert DUSSEY expressed his deep gratitude to his counterpart and to the entire Serbian government for the warm welcome extended to him and his delegation.
Belgrade, January 19, 2023