1. The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Regional Integration and Togolese Abroad,
H.E. Prof. Robert DUSSEY, on Monday, May 10, 2021, at the Sarakawa Hotel, launched the Diaspora Window and the action program to strengthen the contributions of the Togolese diaspora to the Togo 2025 Plan.
2. In his speech for the occasion, Prof Robert DUSSEY recalled the importance of the more adequate involvement of Togolese Abroad in the development process as advocated by the vision underlying the Government’s Road Map in in favor of the Togolese diaspora presented on April 1, 2019. To illustrate the issues related to the contributions of the Togolese Diaspora, Minister DUSSEY mentioned the evolution of financial transfers, representing nearly 8% of GDP and estimated at 451 million US dollars in 2018, 458 million US dollars in 2019 and 441 million US dollars in 2020. Also, he noted the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic which weighs on the implementation of the projects planned by the government in favor of the diaspora.
3. In order to meet the challenge of mobilizing the resources and assets of Togolese Abroad despite this global health crisis affecting African diasporas, the speakers, after a reminder of the multiple initiatives in favor of the Togolese diaspora presented the Diaspora Window and the action program to strengthen the contributions of Togolese Abroad to the Togo 2025 Plan as well as the different approaches to contributions of the Togolese diaspora to the development of the municipalities of Togo.
4. Under the government’s institutional and strategic initiatives in favor of the Togolese diaspora since 2005, we note: the creation of the Directorate of Togolese Abroad (DTE) by decree in 2005; the creation in the same year of the High Commission for Returnees and Humanitarian Action (HCRAH); the development and implementation of the Diaspora program focusing in particular on the use of the skills of the diaspora (2010-2014); the creation in 2014 of the interministerial committee responsible for coordinating and monitoring migration and development activities; the establishment of a diaspora unit responsible for supporting Togolese living abroad with projects in their implementation; the designation since 2015 of focal points in charge of the diaspora in the diplomatic and consular missions of Togo; meeting tours with the diaspora in 2013 and 2014; the organization of the major diaspora meetings in 2014 in Lomé; visa exemption for Togolese living abroad with dual nationality; the organization of editions of the “Diaspora Success” week in 2016 and 2019, the launch of the Government’s roadmap for Togolese abroad, the election of the 77 Country Delegates followed by the official installation of the High Council of Togolese Abroad and the adoption of the law on the vote of the diaspora in 2019.
5. The establishment of the Diaspora Window, for its part, aims to provide Togolese Abroad, a flexible and inclusive platform capable of responding to the demands and expectations of Togolese Abroad with projects and support. ” support the implementation of the action program to strengthen the contributions of the Togolese diaspora to the Togo 2025 Plan.
6. As a reminder, the Guichet Diaspora is the technical support body of the High Council of Togolese Abroad which develops measures and strategies to encourage and encourage Togolese living abroad. to carry out projects in Togo, to attract investments to our country and thus participate in the economic, social and cultural development of Togo and promote its influence in the world. It is also responsible for encouraging the savings of Togolese living abroad for investment purposes in Togo, promoting the emergence of groups of investors within the Togolese community abroad, mobilizing investors and other international partners.
7. For the year 2021, he will be responsible for implementing two flagship projects of the action plan: the census of Togolese Abroad and the directory of entrepreneurs and investors from the diaspora.
8. For the years 2022 and 2023, the action program aims to implement various projects, in particular: the platform for the placement of Togolese Abroad in national and international public structures and in multinationals, monitoring of contributions and facilitation of projects and investments of the diaspora in Togo (the Observatory of the Togolese Diaspora, the Guide of facilitations to the projects of Togolese Abroad in the service of development, the Guide of support mechanisms and access to funding), an Incubator dedicated to the Togolese diaspora, a support platform for partnerships led by the Togolese diaspora within the framework of decentralized cooperation with Togolese municipalities and other international programs as well as the preparation of the creation of the Togolese Abroad Investment Fund (FITEX).
9. The favorable context for the development of the territories after the municipal elections constitute for Togolese living abroad an opportunity to carry out projects, in particular within the framework of twinning and decentralized cooperation. A directory of Togolese municipalities is planned to highlight the strengths and potentials of each of the 117 Togolese localities.
10. Minister DUSSEY therefore appeals to the patriotic sense of Togolese Abroad in order to meet the challenge of their more active participation in the development of the country. For him, it is for members of the Togolese diaspora to appropriate the Diaspora Window and to make it a real collective tool for promoting their projects and investments in Togo.