- H.E. Prof. Robert DUSSEY, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Regional Integration and Togolese Abroad made, this Wednesday, January 25, 2023, a working visit to Ouagadougou in Burkina Faso during which he was received in audience by H.E. Captain Ibrahim TRAORÉ, Head of State and President of the Transition. He carried a message from H.E. Mr. Faure Essozimna GNASSINGBE, President of the Republic, to H.E. Captain Ibrahim TRAORÉ.
- During the interview with H.E. Captain Ibrahim TRAORÉ, H.E. Prof. Robert DUSSEY sent him the warm greetings of H.E. Mr. Faure Essozimna GNASSINGBE and welcomed the quality of the historical relations and bilateral cooperation between Burkina Faso and Togo.
- President TRAORÉ recalled the excellent relations of good neighborliness and fraternity between our two countries and thanked H.E. Mr. Faure Essozimna GNASSINGBE for his initiatives to support the Transition, which is working to meet the security challenges linked to the fight against terrorism and those political relating to the return to constitutional order.
- President TRAORÉ and Minister DUSSEY then proceeded to a broad exchange of views on issues of common interest at the bilateral level, but also at the regional level.
- The two personalities, at the bilateral level, discussed security issues, in particular those relating to the fight against terrorism at the border of their countries where the populations are subjected to abuses by extremist armed groups. They reaffirmed the commitment of the two countries to intensify joint bilateral security initiatives and to further mobilize in the response to terrorism.
- Regarding political issues, Minister DUSSEY welcomed the efforts of the government of Burkina Faso to return to a regular constitutional life and reaffirmed Togo’s full support for the transition process.
- At the regional level, H.E. Captain Ibrahim TRAORÉ and H.E. Prof. Robert DUSSEY noted with concern the expansion of the terrorist threat throughout the sub-region and underlined the need for the States of the space to strengthen their cooperation in the service of the promotion of peace and the defense of collective security.
- The head of Togolese diplomacy also met with H.E. Mrs. Olivia Ragnaghnewendé ROUAMBA, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Regional Cooperation and Burkinabe Abroad. During their discussions, the two ministers underlined the need for Africa to increase its endogenous capacities in order to deal effectively with its problems, as well as the need for the countries, in accordance with their international commitments, to favor peaceful and diplomatic means and mechanisms for resolving their differences.
Done in Ouagadougou, January 25, 2023