1. H.E. Prof. Robert DUSSEY, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Regional Integration and Togolese Abroad, made a working visit to Port Sudan on October 28, 2023, during which he was received in audience by H.E. General Abdel Fattah AL-BURHAN, President of the Transitional Sovereignty Council of Sudan. This visit comes a few months after the holding of the consultative dialogue and consultation of the political and military leaders of Darfur, on July 23 and 24, 2023 in Lomé.
2. Professor DUSSEY, bearer of a message from H.E.M. Faure Essozimna GNASSINGBE, President of the Republic, to his counterpart H.E. General Abdel Fattah AL-BURHAN, was received in audience by the Sudanese President to whom he conveyed the fraternal greetings of H.E.M. Faure Essozimna GNASSINGBE.
3. President AL-BURHAN welcomed the quality of the ties of friendship and bilateral cooperation between the two countries and thanked H.E. Mr. Faure Essozimna GNASSINGBE for his commitment to the resolution of the conflicts shaking the continent. He also congratulated Togo for the organization of the first edition of “Lomé Peace and Security Forum” held from October 20 to 22, 2023. For H.E. President AL-BURHAN, this first edition of “LPSF” strengthens the determination of African countries to make their voice better heard on the international scene by providing endogenous solutions to crises and security challenges on the continental level.
4. At the bilateral level, the two personalities underlined the need for Sudan and Togo to further strengthen their cooperation to respond to the ideals of unity and economic integration advocated by the African Union as well as to the legitimate aspirations of both peoples.
5. At the multilateral level, they deplored the resurgence of security threats in a continental and global environment increasingly characterized by the return of conflict. In this dynamic, the two personalities reaffirmed the commitment of their respective countries to the search and maintenance of peace and security, to the identification and collective construction of solutions to the various crises paralyzing the continent.
6. During his stay, the head of Togolese diplomacy also spoke with his Sudanese counterpart, H.E.M. Ambassador Ali Al-Sadiq Ali. The discussions focused mainly on the political and security situation in Sudan characterized by hostilities between the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF). Professor DUSSEY congratulated the Sudanese authorities for the resumption of inter-Sudanese negotiations currently taking place in Jeddah and reaffirmed Togo’s commitment to fully support all peace initiatives of the international community in favor of the normalization of the situation in Sudan.
Done in Port Sudan, October 28, 2023.