1. H.E. Prof. Robert DUSSEY, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Regional Integration and Togolese Living Abroad, carried out a working visit to Niamey on Tuesday, May 9th, 2023, during which he was received in audience by H.E. Mohamed BAZOUM, President of the Republic of Niger.
2. H.E. Prof. Robert DUSSEY was carrying a message from H.E. Faure Essozimna GNASSINGBE, President of the Republic, to his counterpart in Niger, and the visit comes a few weeks after the friendly and working visit of H.E. Mohamed BAZOUM to the Togolese Republic on March 20th, 2023.
3. During the meeting with President BAZOUM, Minister DUSSEY conveyed to him the fraternal greetings of President Faure Essozimna GNASSINGBE and praised the excellent relations of good neighborliness and cooperation between Niger and Togo.
4. H.E. Mohamed BAZOUM recalled the human and historical links of proximity between our two countries and welcomed the convergence of his views on bilateral and regional issues of interest with those of H.E. Faure Essozimna GNASSINGBE.
5. On the bilateral level, S.E. Prof. Robert DUSSEY and S.E.M. Mohamed BAZOUM discussed measures for strengthening and deepening relations between Niger and Togo. Minister DUSSEY notably mentioned measures taken by Togo to strengthen bilateral cooperation with Niger since President BAZOUM’s last visit to Lomé.
6. On the regional level, the two officials exchanged views on economic cooperation and security issues in the current regional context of the expansion of terrorist threats. They stressed the importance of cooperation between Sahel states and those in the Gulf of Guinea region and noted the need for them to pool human, financial, technical, and logistical resources in the fight against terrorist armed groups.
7. During his stay in Niger, S.E. Prof. Robert DUSSEY also held talks with S.E.M. the Minister of State, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation of Niger.
8. In their discussions, the two ministers highlighted the importance for Africa to provide itself with the necessary means if it wants to be able to achieve its ambitions regarding collective peace and security in a continental context still marked today by several areas of tension and situations of uncertainty.
Done in Niamey, May 09, 2023