- At the invitation of Mr. Mevlüt ÇAVUSOGLU, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Turkey, Prof. Robert DUSSEY, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Regional Integration and Togolese Abroad, paid a working visit to Ankara, from July 24 to 27, 2021.
- This second visit of Minister DUSSEY to Turkey in the space of two months, reflects the firm desire of the two Heads of State, their Excellencies Messrs Faure, Messrs Essozimna GNASSINGBE and Recep Tayyip ERDOGAN, to accelerate the process already started of the strengthening diplomatic and economic relations between Turkey and Togo.
- During his stay, the Togolese Foreign Minister had a working session with his Turkish counterpart during which they discussed matters of common interest of a bilateral and regional nature.
- Bilaterally, the discussions between the two Ministers focused on accelerating the implementation of the Economic and Commercial Cooperation Agreement signed in June 2021 between Togo and Turkey. In this regard, they discussed the preparations for the Togo-Turkey Economic and Trade Forum, scheduled to be held in Lomé before the end of 2021 and which is intended to bring the business communities of the two countries closer together. Minister DUSSEY insisted on the attractiveness of Togo for Turkish investors by presenting in particular the ten ambitions of the Togo 2025 presidential roadmap of which the Industrial Platform of Adétikopé (PIA), recently inaugurated, constitutes one of the flagship projects. . He also reiterated Togo’s wish to see the ongoing exchanges very quickly to establish a Lomé-Ankara air link operated by Turkish Airlines.
- The two ministers took the opportunity to discuss the practical modalities of the opening of the Embassy of Togo in Ankara. Minister DUSSEY expressed the Togolese Government’s warm thanks to the Turkish authorities for the facilities granted, in particular the provision of a plot of land for the construction of the chancellery.
- Discussions on regional issues focused on the political and security situation in the Sahel. The two countries expressed their determination to support the efforts of the international community in the fight against terrorism and violent extremism in order to restore lasting peace in this region.
- Minister DUSSEY expressed his gratitude to the Turkish authorities for the warm welcome extended to him and his delegation during their stay.
Done in Ankara, July 27, 2021