- The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Regional Integration and Togolese Abroad, H.E. Prof. Robert DUSSEY, chaired, this Monday, September 13, 2021, the second virtual meeting of the High Committee of the “Decade of African Roots and the African Diaspora” after the inaugural one of June 10, 2021.
- In his introductory remarks, Minister DUSSEY urged the members of the High Committee to speed up the implementation of the Decision of the Conference of Heads of State and Government relating to the 2021-2031 Agenda of the “ decade of African roots and the African diaspora ”. The challenge, underlined the Minister, is to “move quickly in order to respond as quickly as possible to the aspirations of the African diasporas and to optimize their contributions both to the development of individual countries and to the achievement of the objectives. of the African Union’s Agenda 2063 ”.
- The meeting enabled members of the High Committee to discuss the main lines of work, projects to be included in the agenda and funding mechanisms for the various initiatives and activities of the “Decade of African Roots and the African Diaspora”. As such, the participants unanimously welcomed the announcement by the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Morocco of his government’s decision to support the activities of the decade with an envelope of US $ 200,000.
- The meeting was an opportunity for the participants to agree on actions to be taken in the short and medium term in order to make the process much more inclusive, in particular through the involvement of Afro-descendant communities in the Americas, the Pacific, the Antilles and the Caribbean. as well as non-state actors.
- The meeting also requested the African Union Commission, with a view to the next meeting, to prepare a concept note listing the projects and initiatives underway on the continent as well as the list of the most representative organizations of the continent. African diaspora and Afro-descendant communities.
- Congratulating Togo for the organization of this important meeting, the participants reaffirmed their commitment and their availability to support Togo and the African Union Commission in the implementation of the Agenda for the Decade.
- The meeting took part, in alphabetical order of the countries: South Africa, Algeria, Angola, Gambia, Ghana, Morocco, Namibia, Tanzania, Tunisia and Togo. The African Union Commission was represented by the Vice-President.
Done in Lomé, September 13, 2021