- Within the framework of the relations of friendship and cooperation which bind Togo and France and at the invitation of Mrs. Catherine COLONNA, Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs of the French Republic, Prof. Robert DUSSEY, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Regional Integration and Togolese Abroad of the Togolese Republic paid a working visit to Paris on March 9, 2023.
- This visit reflects the desire of the two countries as well as of their Heads of State, their Excellencies Presidents Faure Essozimna GNASSINGBE and Emmanuel MACRON, to further develop their cooperation, taking into account the changes announced since 2017, concerning cooperation between France and the African countries.
- During the work that marked this visit, the two parties reviewed the bilateral cooperation projects that have been implemented or are in progress as well as issues of common interest both bilaterally and on the regionally and internationally. In this regard, they welcomed the excellent quality and dynamism of these relations, which have their foundations in the history of the two nations. In recent years, cooperation between Togo and France has led to concrete achievements in several areas, specifically education, vocational training, urban development, connectivity, culture, health, agriculture, security and defense.
- Addressing the issue of the new partnership between France and African countries, the French delegation clarified the contours of this reorientation of French cooperation on the continent. In this regard, the two parties have agreed to set up a framework for strategic dialogue, the details of which will be specified by mutual agreement.
- On the economic level, Ministers DUSSEY and COLONNA intend to work to strengthen cooperation in terms of investments. It will be particularly a question of encouraging the installation of French companies within the industrial platform of Adéticopé (PIA). The agri-food, textile, pharmaceutical and automobile assembly sectors have been selected as priority sectors.
- In the fields of security and defence, the two heads of diplomacy expressed their concerns over the terrorist attacks in northern Togo. In this regard, the technical services of the two States will conduct discussions with a view to establishing effective cooperation for the fight against the activities of jihadist groups on Togolese territory, taking into account the Togolese priorities and strategy for the fight against terrorism.
- At the regional level, the two ministers spoke with concern about the persistence and spread of acts of terrorism and violent extremism in West Africa and the Sahel. The teacher. Robert DUSSEY took this opportunity to explain Togo’s commitments and initiatives based on dialogue and consultation with the aim of contributing to peace, stability and peaceful coexistence in the region. The two parties have agreed to maintain permanent consultation on this issue.
Done in Paris, March 9, 2023